August 5, 2013
Cheer team competed at qualifying camp in Louisville, Kentucky and earned a "Gold Paid Bid" to Nationals
The Alma College cheer team attended NCA College Camp in Louisville, KY July 28-31 and earned a "Gold Paid Bid" to Nationals, which takes place April 2014 in Daytona, Fla. The bid is the highest a team can earn and means that the National Cheer Association will pay for the team to go to Nationals.
"I am still in shock over the rapid growth of this program!" said Alma Head Coach Michelle Sabourin. "These girls really gave it everything that they had at camp, and it was amazing to see it pay off in a big way!"
Alma was one of four teams to earn a Gold bid out of 17 teams competing at the qualifying camp in Kentucky in July. Alma's Rally and Game Day cheer routines took first place, competing against teams such as the University of Michigan and Michigan State University.
Below are some highlights of the team's competition in Louisville:
* There were 17 cheer teams and nine dance teams, four other cheer teams from Michigan including: MSU, U of M, Davenport, and Eastern
* Over the four days the team learned and were evaluated on two routines
(Rally Routine: A 13 eight-count routine set to music that involves stunts, tumbling, and a motion dance)
(Game Day Routine: A 45 second routine that focuses on leading a crowd using a camp cheer and chant)
* Team received all superior ribbons for our evaluations on Game Day and Rally, including a perfect score of 10 on our Game Day Routine.
* On the final day of camp we competed in our division with our Rally Routine and Game Day Routine
* Alma placed first in their division for both Game Day and Rally
* The winner of each division in Game Day then competes in a Run-off with the winner from the other four divisions
* Alma (winner of all-girl intermediate) went up against The University of Michigan (winner of Coed Intermediate), Michigan State University (winner of All-Girl), Wallace State (winner of Large Coed) and Northern Illinois University (winner of small coed).
* The Scots won the Game Day Run-off earning an automatic Gold paid bid to NCA College Nationals in April of 2014
* Alma also place 4th overall at the camp, earning a total of 74 points (points are earned from winning competitions and on the final day of camp the staff and coaches vote on who they believe is the best all-around team. Every vote earns the team an additional point).
* After only a year of existence for this program, a coveted Gold Bid is huge accomplishment
* Only seven teams received paid bids out of the 17 teams at camp (four gold and three silver)
* A gold bid covers five free hotel rooms and the registration fee for all athletes in attendance at camp
* The Scots also had a stunt group consisting of Junior Mary Seals, Sophomore Captain Sammy Campbell, Freshman Brianne Schaffer, and Freshman Jordan Wilson compete in the Top Gun competition at camp.