Bahlke Field is named after Mr. and Mrs. William A. Bahlke, who contributed about eight acres of land in December 1923 for a new athletic field. Mr. Bahlke was admitted to the bar and moved to Alma to begin his practice in 1886, the same year the College was founded. He was involved in local government and in the organization and operation of several businesses. His wife, Mary E., was a member of the Alma College Board of Trustees from 1920 to 1942.
The facility was repositioned in 1985, with the football and baseball fields switching locations. The baseball field served the Scots through the 1999 season. The eight-lane track was also constructed in 1985. AstroPlay™ turf was installed in 2000, replacing the field's original artificial turf.
Bahlke Field opened the 2011 football season with a new turf, complete with maroon end zones. The new playing surface includes markings to accommodate Alma’s men‘s and women’s lacrosse teams, which host their first home matches in Spring 2012.